Hypothyroidism is a condition in which your thyroid hormone is not working properly and it slows down the body metabolism. The thyroid gland is the main factor which is responsible for thyroid hormones release in our body.
There are a number of reasons behind this condition. People with Hypothyroidism shows many symptoms such as:
- Mood disorders
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Cracked skin
- Hoarse voice
- Muscle cramping
- Puffy face
- Brittle fingernails and hair
There are ways to increase thyroid hormone production by dietary means, such as Hypothyroidism diet.
- Probiotic-rich foods: Probiotics help create a healthy gut environment by balancing microflora bacteria. Which corrects constipation and metabolism remain healthy. These Probiotics are the strains of beneficial bacteria that populate our gut and allow the natural and healthy functioning of the gut to take place. There are lots of different strains of healthy bacteria, some have been found useful for particular conditions but for most of the people, a balanced of many is important for health.
High sugar, high fat, alcohol, medication (especially antibiotics), low fiber and slow digestion basically all modern diets and lifestyles lead to the reduction of probiotic counts. It is vital to have natural bacteria’s to ensure optimal digestion and detoxification. The proper digestion and detoxification are very important for optimal health. Some sources of probiotics are Yoghurt (sugar-free natural probiotic-rich).
Sauerkraut (Usually from cabbage, but can be made with other vegetables such as carrot and zucchini. But before using make sure it is made with seas salt and vegetables only. The common one available in the supermarkets are made with vinegar and do not have the probiotics). Miso soup is a traditional Japanese soup consisting of a stock called “dashi”, Tempeh is a unique soy product from Indonesia.
It is made by a natural culturing and controlled the fermentation process, Kombucha is a fermented tea that has been consumed for thousands of years. It has the same health benefits as green tea — it’s also rich in beneficial probiotics. , Kimchi a staple in Korean cuisine is a traditional side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables, Kefir is a cultured, fermented beverage that tastes a great deal like a yogurt drink. … It has a tart, creamy flavor, and it’s loaded with probiotic health benefits. , Spirulina is a supplement made from blue-green algae, is touted as a “superfood which contains good amounts of calcium, niacin, potassium, magnesium, B vitamins and iron. It also contains essential amino acids (compounds which are the building blocks of proteins).
- Sprouted seeds: Flaxseeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds provide ALA, a type of omega-3 fats critical for proper hormonal balance and thyroid function. The nutritional content of these sprouted seeds varies, depending on their species, but as a general rule, sprouts contain notable amounts of vitamin C and traces of B vitamins; a surprising amount of protein, fibers, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. In particular, mung beans have a very high content of potassium.
- Fruits and vegetables: These are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are necessary for combating free radical damage and lowering inflammation. Ginger plays a good role it contains zinc, magnesium, potassium. Its anti-inflammatory properties help improve thyroid functioning. Eggs, meat, fish all vegetables are fine to eat. People who have celiac disease, an autoimmune disease, eat gluten-free grains and seeds, that’s why some people who have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, the main cause of hypothyroidism, may also have celiac disease.
- Fish: Balancing the level of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in your hypothyroidism diet can reduce inflammation and support healthy thyroid and neurological functions. Wild fish like salmon is a good source. Even fish oil is considered good for increasing thyroid hormone uptake and maintaining healthy thyroid functioning.
- Coconut oil: Provides medium-chain fatty acid support a healthy metabolism, increase energy and fight fatigue. With this functioning improvement, they maintain the healthy lifestyle of patients with hypothyroidism. It will also stimulate metabolism and boost energy. and even It will help us to increase the basal body temperature which is important for those dealing with low thyroid function. Use coconut oil for cooking. Always use extra-virgin organic coconut cooking oil. You can even mix two tablespoons of coconut oil to milk and drink it in the morning along with your breakfast every day. You can also mix it with your smoothies.
- High fiber diet: It helps in weight loss and management, Improves digestion, Increases mineral absorption, reduce the risk of stroke and improve your heart health. A diet high in fiber content helps with digestive health. A high-fiber diet can help lower unhealthy cholesterol levels. Elevated cholesterol can be a symptom of untreated hypothyroidism, and is also more common even in those being treated for an underactive thyroid. Fiber can help you lose weight. High-fiber foods take longer to digest and fill you up more quickly so you should eat more fresh vegetables, berries, beans, lentils, and seeds. It’s also important to note that too much dietary fiber can impair the absorption of synthetic thyroid hormone.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Apple cider vinegar may also help deal with this thyroid disorder. It is believed that it helps in detoxification, restores acid-alkaline balance, facilitates weight loss, and helps regulate hormones and improve their energy metabolism. Apple cider vinegar can also show good results in other health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and others. Take two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Mix in a little honey. Drink this solution daily on a regular basis in the early morning before your breakfast.
People who have hypothyroidism should eat a diet based on vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. They are very low in calories and very filling, which will help to stop weight gain.
So by adopting the above mentioned dietary habits you can improve hypothyroidism and help in your healthy lifestyle.
DR. Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic, and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website: www.planetayurveda.com