Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome) is a quite common hormonal disorder that causes a number of diverse symptoms in women of reproductive age. Common to all women with PCOS is an abnormality and irregularity in the menstrual cycle and the presence of excess male hormones (androgens). The condition was named because of the outcome of enlarged ovaries containing multiple small cysts (polycystic ovaries).
PCOS also may cause undesirable changes in the way you look. If it isn’t treated, over time it can lead to many health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease. Maximum women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called PCOS. The cysts are not injured but lead to hormone imbalances. Early diagnosis and treatment can help control the symptoms and prevent their long-term side effects.
Symptoms of PCOS/PCOD:
Excessive hair growth: Women with unwanted dark hair growing on the face, chest or back should undergo testing for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It is known as hirsutism, which affects 5 – 10 % of women. PCOS is the main reason for the excessive hair growth common condition that contributes to infertility and metabolic health problems. All women with hirsutism undergo blood tests for testosterone and androgen hormones.
Irregular periods: Women’s with PCOS have irregular periods. In normal condition, the menstrual cycle is 28 days, but in the case of PCOD, the menstrual cycle is between 35 or more than this. Irregular periods leads to excessive thinning of the lining of the uterus.
Acne: This is also one of the common symptom of PCOD. Due to increases in male hormones in your body, your skin becomes more oily than usual and cause breakouts in your skin mainly on your face.
Obesity and weight gain: In PCOD due to hormonal imbalance your body balance is disturbed and which cause weight gain problem. The irregular periods are also one of the reasons for weight gain.
Baldness: This is also one of a symptom of PCOS. In this condition then hairs on your scalp become thinner and there is excessive hair loss in severe conditions.
Tanning: PCOD also lead to darkening of the skin, the formation of dark patches around your neck, under the breast, and in the groin
Depression: Due to a severe hormonal imbalance in your body the patient with PCOD problem also faces the depression problem.
Causes of PCOD:
Insulin Resistance: PCOD is a metabolic disorder, which affects many systems of the body. The main pathology behind PCOD is something named Insulin Resistance (IR). Insulin is a substance that manages sugars level in our body. Insulin resistance means that the amount of insulin needed to succeed in a certain amount of sugar is almost twice the amount needed in non-IR (non-PCOS) women. This can happen in anyone who is overweight and carries the genetic coding for PCOS.
Family history: Person having a family history (like mother/ sister) of PCOS is at 50% risk of having PCOS because it is also a genetic disorder. Type -2 diabetes is also very common in a person with PCOS.
Obesity: This is also one of the main causes of the PCOD problem in women’s. It is very important for PCOD women to maintain their body weight. Some lifestyle changes and food habits help to control your body weight.
Bad food habits: Bad food habits like excessive junk, drinking, smoking, etc also lead to PCOD problem. Because due to bad food habits your hormonal level will be disturbed and which ultimately cause a problem like PCOD.
High level of androgen: Androgens are called “male hormones,” while all women make small amounts of androgens, but Women with PCOS have more androgen level than normal. Androgen is mainly a male hormone. Higher than normal androgen levels in women can inhibit the ovaries from releasing an egg (ovulation) during each menstrual cycle and can cause irregular periods, extra hair growth, obesity, and acne, which are the main sign of PCOD.
Treatments for PCOD:
- Regular exercise is a must for PCOD patient. You should add regular exercise and work out in your daily routine. Walking is an ideal exercise which you should opt for. All exercises including yoga, meditation, and running are very much effective during PCOD problem.
- Food is also a very important part of our life, but in the case of PCOD, you should be very careful about your daily diet routine. You should eat healthy food which includes vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains, and beans. Avoid foods which contain saturated fats and these include fried food, cheese, and meat.
- Overweight is one of the major problem and cause of PCOD. Women’s who are obese are more prone to PCOD. Losing weight is helpful for your health if you have PCOD. Losing even a small amount of weight will help in balancing your imbalanced hormones and regulating your irregularity problem.
- Quit smoking and drinking also helps to maintain your imbalance hormonal level. Excessive smoking and drinking lead to an increase in androgen level in a woman’s body.
- Dietary modifications: The PCOS women’s should add some dietary changes in their diet. You should intake fewer fats and more proteins, vitamins, minerals.
Home remedies for PCOD:
- Cumin water: Cumin helps to regulate sugar levels that in turn help stabilize insulin levels in your body. It has also an antioxidant property that helps to detoxify the radicals from the body and balance hormonal processes. It is also a very good source of iron, control blood cholesterol, promote digestion and helpful in diabetes during PCOD.
- Take one teaspoon of grounded cumin in a cup of hot water and have this drink twice a day.
- You can also consume grounded cumin or this mixture twice a day.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is considered to be the first choice for a number of women to conquer PCOS and is one of the leading home remedies for PCOS. It is one of best hormonal balancer and pH booster. It helps to regulate the insulin level in your body and cure the PCOD symptom.
- Take one glass of Luke warm water, add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Never have this drink in concentrated form, always have this in 1:2 ration.
- Take this drink 1-2 time in a day.
- Aloe vera juice: Aloe Vera’s extracts have been shown to reduce blood cholesterol levels leading to bring back the ovarian steroid status. This positively influences the ovarian function and helps relieve PCOS symptoms. This translucent gel is made up of around 96% water, some inorganic and organic compounds, a protein which contains 18 of the 20 amino acids found in the body and lastly, Vitamin A, B, C and E.
- Take a small amount of Aloe Vera and exclude the green gel from it.
- Mix well in a mixer with some water.
- Eat this by adding 1 pinch of each of pepper powder, cumin powder, and turmeric powder.
- Flaxseeds: Flaxseed is one of the most effective natural treatments for PCOS because it cures the PCOD problem of its roots. This miracle food contains high amounts of lignin, a compound that has been shown to bind to testosterone in the blood and helps to flush it out from the body.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of flaxseed powder and add it to your diet twice in a day
- You can spread it on your smoothies and other food items.
- Spearmint tea: one of a most problematic symptom of PCOD is hirsutism, which is related to excessive hair growth such as facial hair growth, the hair on the stomach, back and another part of your body. Mint is a great appetizer or body cleanser, and it promotes digestion. It also soothes stomachs in cases of inflammation and indigestion.
- You should take this drink 1-2 times in a day with an empty stomach.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has been shown to improve the body’s ability to regulate blood glucose level by regulating the insulin level in your body and also improve the insulin sensitivity in your body. It is loaded with a high amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds which helps to reduce weight in PCOD women’s.
- Take 1-2 stick of cinnamon and crushed them in a grinder to make a fine powder of it.
- Now, take one glass of lukewarm water and add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder to it.
- Drink this in the early morning with an empty stomach for a better result.
- You can also add this powder to your daily diet routine.
- Amla juice: Amla is a very good detoxifying agent and also reduce the body cholesterol level in PCOD patients. It has also antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which help to restore the hormonal balance in your body.
- Take 3-4 fresh Amla and crushed them in the juicer with some amount of water.
- Strain it, and drink this two times a day for better results.
- You can also use ½ cup already prepared Amla juice, dilute this with 1 cup of water and drink it.